Operations Manager, Winnipeg Material Recovery Facility
Canada Fibers Ltd. (CFL) is a growing, integrated and technology-focused recycling company, which is looking for an exceptional operations manager to drive a key strategic growth initiative.
CFL has been awarded the contract to design, build and operate a state-of-the-art, 75,000 square foot material recovery facility (MRF) for the City of Winnipeg. CFL will sort and market materials Winnipeg residents place in their curbside recycling carts, commencing in October 2019. CFL presently provides sorting services to 14 municipalities through a network of highly automated MRFs, with seven of the MRFs owned by the company.
CFL is looking for an experienced, detail-oriented manager as the company expands its geographic footprint into Manitoba. The ideal candidate would be accustomed to working in a dynamic setting, where technology evolves rapidly and the need for employee engagement is constant.
The Operations Manager of the Winnipeg MRF will have the unique opportunity to oversee both the construction and operation of Manitoba’s most technologically advanced MRF.
The Operations Manager shall be responsible for attainment of processing targets (KPIs), cost management, supervision of maintenance programs, safety, employee engagement and interfacing with municipal customers. Reports directly to the VP Operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The position will involve two key phases as follows:
- provide hands-on project management of the state-of-the-art MRF construction until October 2019.
- the transition to operations management of the MRF.
Phase 1: Construction
- Collaborate with CFL staff, construction contractors and equipment suppliers to design, construct and integrate the MRF project, requiring on-site presence during this phase.
- Ensure the Winnipeg MRF is ready for operations on-schedule and on-budget.
- Spearhead hiring of key operations personnel for the MRF.
Phase 2: Operations
- Identify and oversee execution of procedures to maximize productivity and efficiency of the location.
- Monitor budget and operating metrics (KPIs) while diagnosing and improving processes, procedures and performance.
- Formulate both short-term and long-term goals and action plans.
- Supervise and manage daily schedules of employees and operations.
- Investigate, review and control implementation of company regulations, policies and procedure and monitors for compliance.
- Review and evaluate work to ensure quality and timeliness. Ensure maintenance of equipment and facilities.
- Ensure thorough root cause investigations for all injuries and incidents, following-up with consistent discipline and retraining.
- Lead recruiting and hiring of staff with the assistance of human resources department.
- Develop a labour relations program based upon best-practices, which will be aimed at retention, training, development and advancement of personnel.
- Create and submit weekly and month-end reports to senior management.
- Responsible for tracking preventable maintenance on machinery and equipment.
- Responsible for reviewing performance and administering discipline and coaching to the employees.
- Guide major account contract management activities.
- Other minor duties may be assigned.
Procurement / Sales Responsibilities:
- Assist with procurement and coordination of additional incoming recyclable material to facilitate optimal utilization of the MRF.
- Assist with preparation of proposals to municipalities and commercial entities in conjunction with centralized contract management personnel.
- Assist with marketing sorted materials in conjunction with centralized sales personnel.
- Assist with decisions involving pricing of sorted materials in conjunction with centralized sales personnel.
- Direct supervision of employees including: supervisors, lead hands, technicians, mechanics, laborers, sorters, equipment operators, etc.
- Oversee personnel needs of the department including coaching, training and evaluating employee performance. Provide input into termination, compensation and promotion decisions.
- Spearhead employee engagement in continuous improvement programs.
- . Responsible for overall plant safety and assuring that all staff are trained and comply with Canada Fibers Health and Safety Policy.
- . Promptly and correctly discipline employees that do not abide by safe work practices as set out in the company Health and Safety Manual.
- Education: Bachelor degree; Engineering preferred, but not required.
- Experience: Ten (10) years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in a position involving operations, customer service, community relations, labour relations, health and safety, accounting, and human resources functions.
- Experience as a supervisor or manager.
- Experience implementing safety programs and equipment specifications.
- Experience preparing and managing budget.
- Experience resolving labor relations issues is required.
- Experience working in a MRF is an asset.
- Language: Fluent English; Conversational French is an asset.
- Technological Competence: Excellent computer skills with above average literacy in Excel.
- Ability to Travel: Infrequent visits to other CFL facilities.
For further information about this position, please reach out to:
Director, Human Resources